We've hear a lot of plant success stories from our customers since our opening last spring, but we also hear some stories about having a difficult time keeping plants alive. The truth is, plants take time, effort, and practice. We’ve never met a plant person that did not kill at least a couple of plants. Luckily, there are some plants that require minimal care. The following plants are perfect for beginners and people who do not have a lot of free time.
1. Snake Plant (Sanseveria) is as easy as they come in the world of houseplants. This plant will take any light and very little water (water every 2-4 weeks) and it will love you even when you forget about him for some time. Snake plants come in many different varieties of shapes and colors and are great for air purification.
2. ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) is a gorgeous plant with shiny waxy leaves. It thrives in low, medium or high light as long direct sunlight is avoided. When it comes to watering, less is more for this guy. Once every 2-3 weeks is just enough.
3. Rubber Plant (Ficus Elastica) is one of the first plants we recommend when people come to our shop asking for something easy. This guy will take neglect (just not too much of it) and will do just fine in any light. Give it a drink every 10-14 days and it will reward you with fast growth.
4. Pothos is perfect if you are looking for something viny and easy. It does well in medium to low light and requires watering only once a week. It comes in many great varieties that can satisfy any taste.
5. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema) is a gift that keeps on giving. It’s super lush, has beautiful patterns on its leaves and it also blooms like a peace lily. This plant can tolerate medium to low light and weekly watering and it’s a great air purifier.