Ficus lyrata (fiddle leaf fig tree) is a tropical plant native to Western Africa but can be found around the world. In the wild they can grow to be over 100 feet tall and are known for their distinctive violin-shaped leaves, hence their unique nickname. Check out our write up in New York Magazine for the full scoop!
Our 4' tall ficus lyrata tree has been expertly crafted by one family-owned grower in Florida for over 40 years. Hurricanes, fungus, and pests have ravaged their small crops over the years, but they have overcome each setback to continue growing these amazing plants.
The secret to these beautiful corner pieces is that while other growers take a cutting from a larger fiddle leaf fig tree to propagate smaller trees, these trees are grown by air layering, a process whereby cuttings are attached to larger older trees and wrapped in moss and cloning formula while new roots are grown. The new growth is then cut at around 3 feet tall, which forces the branches to sprout sideways out of the top to form its beautiful 'Y' shape. The end result is a much thicker trunk and disease-resistant plant as the entire process takes two painstaking growth cycles. Other growers' 4' tall fiddle leaf fig trees are grown in only one cycle, as such they have much thinner trunks and no distinctive tree shape.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- 10" nursery pot with drainage holes. Recommend transplanting within 1 year into a vessel 1-2 inches larger using regular potting mix
- Clean leaves with damp paper towel or coconut oil every 1-2 weeks to aid photosynthesis and stimulate growth. Check leaves and stalks for pests while cleaning
- If pests are found, remove with damp paper towel and use a mild organic pesticide in a spray bottle to coat the affected areas
- Toxic to pets, contact your veterinarian in the event that sap, leaves, or any part of plant is ingested
- Water thoroughly once per week and allow excess water to run out the drainage holes in the nursery pot or whichever vessel you transplant into
- Medium to high indirect light, avoid windows as they amplify the sun's intensity and create heat that may damage plant. Avoid drafts or air conditioner vents.
SHIPPING AND RETURNS
This item ships free.
All items are shipped from Florida on Mondays or Tuesdays to allow for maximum continuous transit time while avoiding time spent sitting in warehouses, trucks, or other distribution points over the weekend. Depending on your location and the weather conditions across the country, we may be forced to hold on shipping until conditions improve as we have had items freeze while sitting in Chicago for four days and get delayed due to heavy holiday volume (Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.). We will make every attempt to ship your item promptly on the very next Monday or Tuesday given that there are no anomalies in shipping conditions.
Items received in a damaged condition will be refunded immediately as we investigate the cause of the issue with the shipper. Returns will not be accepted, please dispose of any unusable items after they have been refunded.