One of our personal favorites, Zamioculcas Zamiifolia (ZZ Plant) is native to Eastern and Southern Africa and will surprise you with its ability to stay calm under pressure... that is, the pressure of being forgotten for weeks at a time. One of the easiest plants out there to care for, it loves nice dry roots and a good drink every 2-3 weeks depending on the time of year and the dryness of the air. While it's not advised to leave it in a window, it can tolerate a few hours of sun during the day while it shoots out bright green fractals of its older foliage. Check out our mention in New York Magazine's gift guide for more reasons to love this plant...
Our 10" ZZ plant has been grown by a husband and wife team (hey, we love this!) in Southern Florida since 1981. While Hurricane Andrew destroyed their operation and the duo took nearly 6 years away from the industry to rebuild and regroup, the team has rebounded stronger than ever and has since become a stalwart of the Florida ornamental foliage industry with volunteer work done at the local and state level.
The company prides itself in its customer service, low prices, availability and pest free plants, all virtues we extoll at Water & Light as well. You know when you're buying a plant from us, you know we've sought out the best growers and you're working with the best in the industry.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- 10" nursery pot with drainage holes. Recommend transplanting within 1 year into a vessel 1-2 inches larger using regular potting mix
- Clean leaves with damp paper towel every 1-2 weeks to aid photosynthesis and stimulate growth. Check leaves and stalks for pests while cleaning
- If pests are found, remove with damp paper towel and use a mild organic pesticide in a spray bottle to coat the affected areas
- Toxic to pets, contact your veterinarian in the event that sap, leaves, or any part of plant is ingested
- Water thoroughly once every 2-3 weeks and allow excess water to run out the drainage holes in the nursery pot or whichever vessel you transplant into. If your pot has no drainage holes, we will add clay drainage balls to the bottom of the pot, however avoid overwatering
- Low to high indirect light, avoid windows as they amplify the sun's intensity and create heat that may damage plant
SHIPPING AND RETURNS
This item ships free.
All items are shipped from Florida on Mondays or Tuesdays to allow for maximum continuous transit time while avoiding time spent sitting in warehouses, trucks, or other distribution points over the weekend. Depending on your location and the weather conditions across the country, we may be forced to hold on shipping until conditions improve as we have had items freeze while sitting in Chicago for four days and get delayed due to heavy holiday volume (Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.). We will make every attempt to ship your item promptly on the very next Monday or Tuesday given that there are no anomalies in shipping conditions.
Items received in a damaged condition will be refunded immediately as we investigate the cause of the issue with the shipper. Returns will not be accepted, please dispose of any unusable items after they have been refunded.