Satin Pothos (Scindapsus Pictus) is native to Bangladesh, Thailand, and SE Asia. While technically not a pothos, this plant resembles a pothos plant with its leaf shape and similar care requirements. The satin pothos gets its name from the feathery texture on the top side of its leaves, much like satin with a silver sheen that has an almost iridescent quality in the sun.
Our 8" hanging satin pothos has been grown by a local Florida family specializing in alocasia, anthurium, pothos, and philodendron since 1981. Hurricane Andrew completely destroyed their nursery in 1992, and hurricane Irma caused another $80,000 in damage in 2017, but the family has rebuilt each time to continue their legacy of growing some of the rarest and most unique aroids in the country.
The family's secret lies in their shade house technology. Every single plant in the nursery's more than 160,000 sq ft of space is fed with a constant drip of water to maximize growth without overwatering. Such an elaborate system requires substantial maintenance to ensure that no drips are clogged and no plants go without water.
While not necessarily hard to find, this plant is often in high demand and goes out of stock frequently. Check back for updates on our stock and get yours while its here!
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
- 8" nursery pot with drainage holes and drip tray. Recommend transplanting within 1 year into a vessel 1-2 inches larger using regular potting mix
- Clean leaves with damp paper towel every 1-2 weeks to aid photosynthesis and stimulate growth. Check leaves and stalks for pests while cleaning
- If pests are found, remove with damp paper towel and use a mild organic pesticide in a spray bottle to coat the affected areas
- Toxic to pets, contact your veterinarian in the event that sap, leaves, or any part of plant is ingested
- Water thoroughly once every 7 days and allow excess water to run out the drainage holes in the nursery pot or whichever vessel you transplant into. If your pot has no drainage holes, we will add clay drainage balls to the bottom of the pot, however avoid overwatering
- Medium indirect light, avoid windows as they amplify the sun's intensity and create heat that may damage plant
SHIPPING AND RETURNS
Standard $7 flat rate shipping. Free shipping on orders over $75.
All items are shipped from Florida on Mondays or Tuesdays to allow for maximum continuous transit time while avoiding time spent sitting in warehouses, trucks, or other distribution points over the weekend. Depending on your location and the weather conditions across the country, we may be forced to hold on shipping until conditions improve as we have had items freeze while sitting in Chicago for four days and get delayed due to heavy holiday volume (Mother's Day, Christmas, etc.). We will make every attempt to ship your item promptly on the very next Monday or Tuesday given that there are no anomalies in shipping conditions.
Items received in a damaged condition will be refunded immediately as we investigate the cause of the issue with the shipper. Returns will not be accepted, please dispose of any unusable items after they have been refunded.